Read about my life-long dream coming to fruition. Start at the beginning, Archive: March 2017.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

A stay in Hampton, Virginia

When I first arrived to the Norfolk area, I wasn't sure where to go. I had never been here before. It was dark; about an hour after sunset. There were all kinds of lights obscuring the navigational lights. I was tired. I had just sailed 26 hours from Annapolis, Maryland; mostly in a gale. A gale is defined as winds greater than 34 knots up to and including 47 knots.


With the gale blowing all day, and being a late arrival, most of the listed anchorages were already filled. So, I picked an out of the way spot to anchor for the night.

In the morning, I motored over to Old Point Comfort Marina to top off the fuel tanks before heading out onto the ocean. As I headed out, the boat seemed to struggle with the current. I had the mainsail up, but the wind was coming straight at me (on the nose). So, I increased the power of the engine. In a short while, the engine would surge and then slow down repeatedly. That's when I realized it wasn't the current slowing the boat.

I had just had the transmission fixed in Annapolis. It was supposed to take one month; done by mid-September. It was late November, now. ...and the transmission still was not working properly!

I went back to Old Point Comfort Marina and docked the boat. I had to rent a car and drive four hours to Annapolis the next day. I met with the owner of the shop that fixed(?) the transmission. He called the transmission shop that did the actual transmission work. They agreed to pay for a mechanic to come to the boat and diagnose the problem.

It would take me a few days to find a mechanic. Then, I would have to get on their schedule. It could be another week, maybe longer, before they even knew what the problems was... let alone fix it! My experiences having work done in Annapolis have always been consistently sub-standard and excessively slow! I have had it with the mechanics working on my boat. I said I would diagnose the problem.

After another four hour drive back to the boat, I had the problem fixed in 20 minutes. Did I mention Annapolis workers do sub-standard work? The cooling line from the transmission to the heat exchanger was not connected!

I lost my narrow weather window for Bermuda and would have to wait for another safe opportunity.

While walking back to the boat, I discovered an issue with the rigging. On the deck of the boat, I could not see the issue. I had to be about 100' away to see it! The transmission problem was a blessing in disguise. Had I gone out on the ocean as planned, it would be unlikely that I would have made it to Bermuda without losing my mast, and probably a lot more if it was rough conditions.

I called a rigger to look at the problem. He agreed immediately and arranged for me to move my boat to the boatyard where he works. A slip would be available at the end of the week.

At the shower house, I noticed a flyer for a coffee shop; Firehouse Coffee. So, I walked over there to check it out. I was given the history of Fort Monroe and directed to the History Museum, which was very interesting! I also met the director of the Fort Monroe Association. He arranged for me to have a free Y membership for the duration of my stay! I took a walk around the fort that afternoon. From the ramparts, I could see the lighthouse and took a picture. The lighting was not great. I planned to return the next morning. This is the resultant photo.

Fort Monroe Lighthouse
I moved my boat to the Sunset Boating Center. Unlike Annapolis, the work was accomplished four days later. I mentioned this to a few guys I was having coffee with one morning. One old salt leans over and asked, "Do you know why that is?" I admitted that I didn't.

He smiles and says, "Annapolis is in Maryland. This is Virginia. We have a work ethic here." He went on to explained that Annapolis is full of Yachties, and mega yachts... all people who can wait if need be. In Hampton, it is mostly work boats. People make a living with their boats and need them fixed reliably and quickly as possible.

I am still waiting for a good weather window. It is mid-December. There have been a string of gales following the Gulf Stream. The six days to Bermuda would be two days of gale, followed by two good days, and then two more days of gale. I'm looking for the ration to turn in my favour.

I walked into the downtown area last night. They have a carousel decorated for Christmas.

Hampton, Virginia's Carousel


The new refrigeration unit I installed in Annapolis has failed. It is under warranty. I am waiting for a part to arrive from the factory. Last week, the part arrived... it was bad! I sit. I wait. Another good weather window passes by.

I'm searching the nearly cloudless sky for the silver lining as I sit on deck. I have now properly forecasted two excellent weather windows that came to fruition. I am happy about that! It gives me more confidence is my long-term forecasting abilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment